Annapolis Chorale and Chamber Chorus
Annapolis Chamber Orchestra
Ernest Green, Artistic Director
Job Description: ACCOMPANIST
Supervised by: Artistic Director
Purpose of Position: To provide piano accompaniment for chorus rehearsals and concerts, and other tasks as needed to assist the rehearsal process.
Time Commitment: Approximately 5 rehearsal hours per week, plus outside prep time as required to learn music in advance of rehearsals.
Runout performances and extra rehearsals are scheduled periodically and would be in addition to the regular Monday/Wednesday rehearsal schedule.
The Accompanist for the Chorus is responsible for the following duties:
- Accompany all Annapolis Chorale and Chamber Chorus rehearsals.
- Monday evening rehearsals, which are scheduled from 7:30-10:00 p.m.
- Wednesday evening rehearsals which are scheduled from 7:30-10:00 p.m.
(Monday is a Full Chorus rehearsal – each has different repertoire)
- 3-4 Saturday rehearsals each year
- Rehearsals with soloists in preparation for each concert. (scheduled by the Artistic Director)
- Dress and tech rehearsals (be available as needed for these rehearsals)
- Accompany and lead sectionals as needed
- Provide accompaniment for auditions
- Accompany/play for concerts as needed
- Be able to act as the primary orchestra pianist for The Annapolis Chamber Orchestra.
- Provide piano accompaniment for all rehearsals and run-outs as needed
- *Prepare recording of rehearsal CDs for each vocal part each season (August and January).
*(we don’t currently do this – instead we use online resources but we may need to do this from time to time)
- Skills needed.
- Excellent musicianship and playing ability
- Good sight reading ability (this will come in handy from time to time)
- Knowledge of choral and vocal repertoire
- Knowledge of stylistic features, traditions and performance practice of music from the Renaissance to current musical styles
- A comfort with, and an ability to accompany soloists
- A comfort with, and an ability to accompany the choruses in a variety of ensemble configurations
- A comfort with, and an ability to act as a member of the orchestra in a variety of ensemble configurations
- Ability to play from piano scores as well as the ability to reduce choral parts and play from the open score as needed for rehearsals
- The ability to work with singers from a wide variety of backgrounds and skill
- Qualities and communication
- A deep love of music and working with singers and vocal music
- Good interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to share musical ideas in rehearsals in a way that promotes good singing and music-making
- Needs to be organized and able to keep track of rehearsal schedules, repertoire and meetings (as needed)
- Be in regular communication with the Artistic Director to make sure plans and rehearsals run smoothly
- Salary and fees
- This is primarily a per service engagement and fees will be comparable and track orchestra rehearsal and performance fees for the Annapolis Chamber Orchestra
- There may be the possibility of a travel (mileage)
- Music will be provided to the accompanist
- Education and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in music minimum (Masters preferred)
- Prior experience accompanying is preferred
To apply, please send a current bio, resume and references along with a cover letter describing any relevant experience to the following addresses:
Please send any questions to either of the two addresses above
The position will begin mid-August and run through the end of the season in May of 2019.
Live Arts Maryland is a 501 C3 tax-exempt organization. Our federal tax identification number is 52-1040306. This organization is a 501c(3) tax-exempt organization, IRS Section 170(b)(2)(iii) for both federal and state tax purposes.
Live Arts Maryland and the Annapolis Chorale is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.